Frequently Asked Questions
Following are some of the questions that tend to be asked every
once in a while, along with the answers. If you can't find an answer to
your question here, please check the contact
page for pointers to more resources.
- HOT: Does PasswordSafe run under Windows 10?
- Yes. There's a minor problem with drag&drop support from PasswordSafe to the default browser, but this has been confirmed as an issue with the browser
(that will soon be fixed), not with PasswordSafe. Other than that, PasswordSafe works fine under Windows 10.
- Help! I've forgotten/lost/misplaced my master password
- Sorry, there's not much we can do to help. Any "recovery" mechanism that we would implement would be open to abuse.
- Help! I can't open my password database
- First, eliminate the obvious: Make sure Caps Lock is off, and if your PC is multilingual, make sure that you're in the
If this doesn't help, try opening one of the backup files that are automatically created. They're name with a .ibak
suffux, and by default reside in the same directory as the main database.
If this fails, you'll have to revert to an offline backup copy
(you did create one and regularly update it, right?).
- Security: What algorithm and keysize does PasswordSafe use?
- PasswordSafe uses the Twofish algorithm with a
256 bit key.
- Security: How secure is PasswordSafe?
- The V3 format was academically reviewed and found to be secure ("On the Security of Password Manager Database Formats").
The implementation's source code is freely and openly available for inspection, and has passed several security reviews.
- Portability: Does PasswordSafe run on X?
- Probably. Check here for a list of compatible implementations that run on various platforms.
- Is PasswordSafe available in my language?
- See here for a list of currently supported languages, and how to add yours.
| Need Help?
| RSS feeds
This site is kept W3C-conformant by Karel Van der Gucht (karel<at>vandergucht.de)